Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The 25-Week Challenge



On April 15,1999 I was driving a group of friends home from a movie in North Attleboro, MA. I was a Sophomore at Providence College and in the absolute worst shape of my life. The conversation turned to the upcoming Mondays' Boston Marathon. I jokingly blurted out that they should all go to Boston on Monday and cheer me on in the race. To a person, they all said that I could never finish the race. That was all I needed to hear.

The following Monday, April 19, I woke up early and headed to Hopkington. I hadn't run even a mile in over six months, but six and a half hours after the noon-time start - I crossed the finish line. The accomplishment was as great as it was stupid. I remember telling myself that if I could finish, than I would never have to contemplate running another marathon again.

In the ten years since, I'm not sure I have run a total of 26.2 miles. However, on the night of the 2009 Boston Marathon, a challenge was made to compete in the 2009 Hartford Marathon being held on October 10.

This time, I'm focused on doing it right. This site will be first and foremost for myself. I am hoping to update on my weekly training from now until race day and use this as motivation to get me through the difficult patches that are sure to come in the coming months. For anyone else willing to take on this challenge, than I'd love to hear how you prepare. As I sit here today, the likelihood of me actually running in the marathon seems small but, God willing, if I can stay motivated and focused on my goals than it could be a life changing experience.

1 comment:

  1. AH!!! I love it! This will definitely motivate me too! In 5 months I cant wait to come back and read your first post again. What will happen in that time? Wait and see, my friends, wait and see...

    ReplyDelete