Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One down, 24 to go...

In the past, Week 2 has always been the downfall of any potential workout plan. I blame this on many things, but mostly because I've never had a long term goal when it came to running. I would get all gung ho, maybe run a couple miles a day for two or three days and then blame sore knees, weather, work or a hangover on the reason why I couldn't get out there the next week.

However, THIS Week 2 is different.

The training schedule gives myself the opportunity to not only build up my distance gradually over the first few weeks, but also my confidence. The Week 1 plan was to run a mile Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday with the three mile run on Saturday. In the end,I ran a mile Tuesday, 1.2 miles Wednesday, 1.5 miles Friday and the 3.1 on Sunday. Goal was 6 miles for the week and I ended up exceeding the goal with 6.8 miles. Week 2 calls for a total of 7 miles - 1 mile on Tuesday and Thursday, 2 miles Wednesday and three on Saturday. I head into the week feeling fresh and knowing I can attain this goal. If I choose to run an extra half mile than I know I can do it and still feel good the next day. Mentally, this is a big hurdle crossed.

Enjoying the 5k on Sunday was another milestone. I can now try and fit the upcoming races into the weekly schedule. I know that next Sunday, May 3rd, is the Baja 5000 5k in Glastonbury. With another three mile run already planned for next weekend, this fits in perfectly. It also gives me a short term goal to shoot for. While time is of no concern to me, I am confident I can run the next 5k in under 30 minutes. This is attainable just by knowing what to expect. I'll be better prepared just by knowing I won't keel over half way through.

Now, time to start researching running sneaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment