Tuesday, May 26, 2009

136 days to go...




Last week was a 'step back' week and step back I did. It was the first week that I didn't run more than the scheduled mileage, but I'm ok with that. Following the Shamrock Duathlon, I spoke of taking it easier for the week ahead. I was scheduled to run a total of ten miles last week and that is what I ran. I took an extra day off and ended up running two miles Tuesday, three miles Thursday and the 5 miles on Sunday in Boston. This week I'm gonna pick it back up again. The plan calls for runs of 2mi/4mi/2mi/5mi and a total of 13 miles run. I'm hoping to compete in the Iron Horse 10k in Simsbury on Sunday which will be close to a 6.4 mile race. This will be the longest straight run I'll make yet. I've considered really pushing it and attempting the half marathon, but I don't know if I'm really ready for that. In five weeks time, I am now at a somewhat respectable 9:00+ minute/mile pace and I'm going to use this weekend's race to build up some confidence and attempt to finish it in under an hour.

Since April 21, I've now logged in 52 miles running and 25 miles on the bike. Slowly but surely, we're getting there. Only 136 days to go til Marathon Day. To give you an idea what sort of transformation can happen in 136 days - check this guy out.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in the race this weekend. If you did try to push the mileage, you could try to do a run walk combo. This way you run the same amount, but you get recovery in between. You will not get a good time, but you will get in some good training. Walking keeps the heartrate up at a good rate and is low impact. This could help you. As you get toward your longer runs, start thinking about taking nutrition with you. Here is a good article on electrolyte pills, http://www.roguerunning.com/articles/199.html. Here is a good calculator on gels and calories http://www.carbboom.com/nutrition/marathoncalculator.html. It is important to try this stuff out now so that you know how your body responds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAH DYING! I cant wait to look at you after the marathon and say in a really deep voice "the transformation is complete"

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and follow that up with, "here be dragons".

    ReplyDelete