Monday, May 18, 2009

Four Weeks Down...


Heading into the fifth week of training, I'm feeling pretty confident. I've been able to exceed my goals for each week and have gone from not running in years to competing in three 5K's(slowest time- 31:27 best run- 27:54), a 5.5 mile race(1:00:10) and a duathlon (2 5K's and 28K bike in 2:37:47) in less than a month. Most important is I enjoy it and I've managed to make working out a part of my daily schedule.

This past week called for runs of 2mi/3mi/2mi/4mi. I ended up running 2 miles Tuesday and Thursday, 3.2 on Saturday and 6.4 on Sunday. I also mixed in bike rides of 8 miles on Friday and 17 miles on Sunday. The scheduled total for the week was 11 miles and I ended up with 13.6 miles run and 25 miles riding. My legs are feeling it today and I expect to take things very easily the next week or two.

With all the rain we've gotten this month, the runs have been relatively comfortable. I'm curious as to what effect the heat will have day in,day out as we head into Summer. The air quality has had a major effect on me towards the end of some runs when the weather was hot. How will the recovery be? Will it deter my inspiration to get out there.

We will soon find out I guess. As for this week. The runs call for 2mi/3mi/2mi/3mi. The schedule calls for weeks like this every three or four weeks. The actual mileage is a step back from where I was the week before. Judging by how I feel physically feel today, I am pretty happy to be taking a step back.

4 comments:

  1. Best post ever! You ROCK COLLI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, as the heat picks up you may want to think about using some electrolyte pills on your longer runs and start having a formula for 1) calories, 2) water, and 3) electrolytes for your long runs. My suggestion would be to bring your food and electrolyte pills at the race and not use the stuff at the race. I tried to keep at 300 calories per hour through GUs, I think I did about 16oz of water an hour, and about 4 to 5 electrolyte pills. A big problem for endurance events is when people just drink the gatorade on the course and get cramps from it. You can google this and get a ton of info on it. I can send you a fuel belt for your bday to carry all this stuff with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all sounds good... Im having a tough enough time remembering to breath while running, though... i will def research it

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is remembering to talk when running. That means your heartrate is at a good level. You may have to come and see me and we can do some Rocky and Drago training out here to get you ready. If that happens, look out Kenyans!

    ReplyDelete