Monday, May 4, 2009

Hump Week

As I noted last week, Week 2 of every other workout plan had been a disaster. Not only was THIS Week 2 a success - it has actually fueled my fire even more for this challenge. In ten days, I've gone from fearing the streets to wanting to tackle them more and more each day. I have run in two 5k's and all of the sudden I am planning my vacations around different races .

The original schedule had me running a total of 7 miles last week. I ended up running 1.2/2.5/1.8 and the 3.1 at Sundays Baja 5k for a total of 8.6 miles. Week 3 has a plan for runs of 2mi/3mi/2mi and the weekend run of 3mi. I'm considering running in the 5.5 mile Salmon River Run on the Colchester/East Hampton line. This will be almost double any run I have previously done and is somewhat over ambitious for where I may currently be in my training. However, I have manged to get over the hump mentally as to whether I can do it. There is no doubt in my mind that I can finish the race. Do I expect to keep the 9:30/mile pace I was at Saturday? No, but distance is a much greater priority to me at this point than time.

So this week will be hump week for me. Getting to a point where I can comfortably run three-miles a day will be a big step.

Is this what you were expecting, Gutterbrain?

No comments:

Post a Comment