Thursday, May 14, 2009

Flexibility is key

Flexibility is key in marathon training.

This week will serve as a perfect example of this.

Not only flexibility of your muscles and joints, but also with your schedule. With this in mind, I moved yesterday's three-mile run to Saturday. With the decision to make a go at Sunday's duathlon, I figure it's important that I get a little sweat going and a good stretch the day before.

The next 148 days will demand a few things:
1.) That I stay healthy and without injury. Missing one week could set me back months. It is the gradual build up of confidence and endurance that will allow me to get from start-to-finish come Marathon Day. The training plan calls for a certain amount of miles to be completed each week, however it is not set in stone. Keeping this in mind should allow me to never get too far behind.

2.) Understanding that in order to move two steps forward, at times I may need to take one step back. I need to acclimate my body to the daily grind of working out. There will be days and weeks that I test my limits and days and weeks that I just maintain my current pace. The exciting part of this first month is that I have no expectations. I'm not concerned with time, only with finishing. Also, every race up to this point has been better than the previous. I will hit a plateau and can't get frustrated if I don't set a new "personal best" with each race.

3.) I'll need to remember this is fun. If it stops being fun, I need to seriously reconsider what I'm doing. As time goes on, the training will require a serious time commitment. I'm fortunate to have some great people to go along for this ride with. It is pushing each other and knowing when to give the other a swift kick to the rear or when to throw them on your back and carry them along that will determine success. Everyone will have good and bad days and keeping it all in perspective is vital. Its important to be flexible not only with yourself, but with those around you.

So with that - I'm off to Fleet Feet in West Hartford. Time to gear up and start to look like I've actually done this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment