Wednesday, May 13, 2009

To Duathlon Or Not To Duathlon...

...that is the question.



"Umm.. hey buddy! Ya-you Shoeless Joe! You forgetting something there."


This Sunday is the Shamrock Duathlon. It is held in Glastonbury and features a 5k run, followed by a 26k bike ride and finishing with another 5k. I can think of every reason why NOT to compete in this. There is the 7:30 a.m. start time. There is the lack of training for such a race. There is the fact I don't own a bike and the only one I can think of borrowing has a bell and basket on the front with a dog in it. I could go on...

The only reason I can think of to actually participate is the nagging voice in the back of my head that whispers, "Why Not"?

I spent some time looking through last year's results. I tried to find the results of the people who ran the first 5k in 28-30 minutes. I couldn't find even a 28 min 5k until after the 200th finisher. A quick look showed that less than 20 people out of more than 250 ran the first 5k in more than 28 minutes. This shows that this is a serious race and I don't know if I'm ready for a serious race yet.

The other issue is I haven't rode a bike since I got my driver's license. I have no clue how long 26K will take me. Again, judging by the past results, it will probably take around 1:30:00. However, that is for people who have most likely tried this since 1994. Also,the elevations for the bike ride seem pretty steep.

This will take some soul-searching in the next day or two. On Saturday, there is the Shad Derby Kiwanis 5k in Windsor. This is a family event, most likely with as many walkers as runners. This race is probably more my speed, but not nearly as challenging.

Pssshhh... why not? Let me get back to you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment